Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Artsy Artsy Project

You know me and my projects hahah.. well this time I've decided to do a plaster cast of my torso from my neck to where my hips begin. A plaster cast, what is that?
Let's go with the dictionary definition:


Function:
noun
1 : a sculptor's model in plaster of paris
2 : a rigid dressing of gauze impregnated with plaster of paris

So basically you can go out and buy a roll of "plaster cast" which after my first experiment with it,I highly recommend. I had my faithful roommate and assistant help with yet another one of my great idea projects. First we covered my parts that were being casted with plastic wrap, because it would really really hurt to do it right on your skin. Then we cut different sized rectangles out of the plaster cast. To cast something you simply dunk the strips into a warm bowl of water, then lay them as flat as possible on the area you are casting, staggering and keeping in mind that you want it uniformly strong.

Then we waited for the plaster to dry, and I have only just started the painting of the cast

So now I just need to get the inspiration to finish it, I might incorporate medusa somewhere on the stomach, not quite sure yet! Hope you enjoyed reading about our latest project!

6 comments:

glassidentities said...

cant wait to see how it looks when finished.. so totally cool

HolisticallyHeather said...

thanks :)

Alayna said...

very cool! I might have to try this with my preggo belly :)

HolisticallyHeather said...

yeah thats where i got the idea from was a woman i know asked me to do her pregnant belly, it came out gorgeous!

Nyblaque said...

wow this is awesome...how can you stay still so long and not itch :P...i wanna see how it all comes out...medusa sounds really good

HolisticallyHeather said...

i was wiggling and jessi was yelling the whole time hahaha