Friday, June 27, 2008

Amy Buchheit


Todays featured artist! http://www.AmyBuchheit.etsy.com

Introduce yourself and give us an idea of what you have to offer in your shop

As you can tell by my shop, my name is Amy Buchheit. I am a professional fine artist with a Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree from Marylhurst University.

I carry a variety of original art, photography and hand crafted note cards in my shop. These are the experimental pieces and items that I do not include in my body of gallery works. They are the type of items you would find at an artist’s open studio sale. Since the laws in my town do not allow me to have such sales, Etsy has become a terrific outlet for finding these items a good home.

How long have you had an etsy shop?

I officially “opened my doors” on March 24th, 2008.

What do you do for fun?

I have a wide variety of interests. I like to go to excellent concerts, with both internationally known and local artists. I love walking on the beach by myself for hours, occasionally shooting images but mostly just absorbing the peaceful spirituality of the place. I do crafts, which will eventually lead me to either modify my current store or open a second. I love to read, listen to music, dance, hang out with friends, go to art exhibitions … the list is long and varied.

What mediums/materials do you work with?

Since my store carries experimental pieces you never know what you might find! Right now I am in the busy season so you will mostly find my photography (original pieces are more time consuming and therefore limited at the moment). I use a simple 5 year old digital camera with 3x optical zoom for most of my images … which is appallingly limited but quite satisfying when I get a good result. I am just now in the baby stages of learning to use my Photoshop program and do not do any major alterations of the images I shoot.

For my original works, you may find collages, encaustic paintings, acrylic paintings, assemblage sculptures … it depends on what I am playing with at the moment.

Do you have any other sites you sell/advertise on?

I have my own website. It is a work in progress, but does an o.k. job of letting the public see my gallery work while I am finishing it. The address for that site is http://www.amybuchheit.com.

Two of my gallery pieces are currently in the First Annual International Society of Acrylic Painters Online Exhbition at http://www.isap-usa.com/smshow/a-c.htm. I have been a Signature Member of the International Society of Acrylic Painters since 2002.

In addition, I have had a MySpace presence for about 2 years now. You can find pictures, blogs, and some insight on my personality there. The address is http://www.myspace.com/amysart, and my username is AB Arts.

What groups are you a part of on etsy?

I am a member of Team Amy … a group of creators named Amy on Etsy! We are just getting going, so stay tuned!

Any promotions currently?

I typically do not do promotions as it tends to set a bad precedence for artists interested in gallery representation. However, I am willing to make an exception in your case! If your readers make a purchase of $30 or more, I am offering free shipping. Just mention this blog and wait for a revised invoice.

Offer only good through July 31st, 2008. Offer not valid on original art work priced at over $50 per piece.

Anything else you want to tell us about?

Of course experience and background is very important when choosing to invest in an artist, so here is a little information to help in your selection:

I graduated with a BFA from Marylhurst University, where I studied under Portland artists Marlene Bauer, Paul Sutinen and Dennis Cunningham. While in school I forged ahead into the art world; simultaneously studying, developing a body of work and exhibiting in local, national and international shows. Since graduating, I have continued to explore new artistic possibilities through encaustic workshops with Portland artist Elise Wagner, as well as general workshops on creativity and texture.

My travels have taken me to locals around the world, but I choose to call Vancouver Washington home. Born in Mayville, North Dakota, I moved to Winston-Salem, North Carolina; Spokane, Washington; Brownsville, Pennsylvania; Berlin, Germany; Williston, North Dakota and back to Spokane before my teens. Later, my own four-year stint in the United States Air Force took me to Texas, Mississippi, Delaware, and Honduras. In addition, I traveled to many US states, and other countries such as Austria and the Netherlands. The exposure I had to other cultures definitely has an impact on the background texture of my art - and who I am as a person.

Whether working in a naturalistic or abstract style, my commitment is to connect with the viewer on a personal level – stirring buried emotions to the surface for further inspection and introspection. The inspiration for my work comes from direct observations, deeper research of subjects I am passionate about and my own personal experiences. My focus on intensity and color heighten the emotion in my work – while a more “user friendly” subject matter and painting style softens what might otherwise be overwhelming. There are variations on this theme when approaching a subject I feel needs a bolder approach.

I have been accepted into national and international level exhibitions and by distinguished jurors such as: Robert Rosenblum – curator, Solomon Guggenheim Museum, New York City; Thomas W. Lentz – Elizabeth and John Moors Cabot Director, Harvard University Art Museums; and Janet Koplos – Senior Editor, Art in America magazine. I was juried into the International Society of Acrylic Painters as a Signature Member in 2002 and retain that status today. Notable exhibitions I have participated in include the Cambridge Art Association’s 10th Annual National Prize Show in Cambridge, Massachusetts, the International Society of Acrylic Painter’s 10th Annual International Exhibition in San Luis Obispo, California and the Soho20 Chelsea Gallery’s 2003 Spring Juried Show in New York City.

3 comments:

lrsoriginals said...

Amy's work is beautiful. I love the fact that it is so varied, and one never knows what will be in her shop!

Anonymous said...

I love Amy's work, especially with encaustic painting, which is extremely difficult. What an amazing artistic talent. Jan

Torann said...

Its great to see a blog about Amy and of course it made a both interesting and a great read.

But most of all I have to say Love Amys work! :)